Thursday, 21 July 2016

Books, Books and more Books ....

One of the problems of being a bookworm is space - where to put all the bookcases.

About 16 years ago I had 12 large bookcases scattered through the house but had to get rid of all but 4. That meant 7 tea-chests full of books had to go as well. It was a painful process for a book lover but I did it - alas there was no other choice. The space was urgently needed for a hospital bed, wheelchair, lift and the like, furniture had to be moved or got rid of.

Anyway now that section of my life is over during the past few years I have been slowly gathering a new collection of books and bookcases. I have adopted another 10 bookcases that have made their way into my house.

The latest is a you beaut sweetheart of a bookcase.

I have a lot of recipe books and they were 'double and triple parked' on the shelves on the small bookcase they were in. I'd been measuring up and discovered I could fit a larger one in the space if I jiggled things round a little.

The case was from IKEA but wouldn't fit in my RAV so #2 son picked it up in his work van and then saved me a day of trouble and cursing by putting it together for me in about an hour....lol.

It looks great and I have plenty of room to add more books. I had a small bookcase alongside that I kept DVDs in which were also crammed so they now can spread out into the new shelves too.

I had a pile of books stacked in my workroom and another stashed in the family room. The old bookcase I moved and put the piles onto it. No more heaps of books - they all have a shelf to sit on AND I even have room to add more books....lol.

Mind you knowing the way I buy books I don't think it will be very long before I start measuring to find where I can put another bookcase although I think I may have reached my limit as far as space goes. I'll have to start weeding out books instead - I really hate doing that.

I love re-reading books. My record is 103 times for the Lord of The Rings ... and there are a few other series that aren't too far behind. The Shannara Chronciles, Harry Potter, Discworld, The Dragons of Pern and Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series, Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn series, Kathy Reichs' Bones just to name a few.

In fact my first LOTR was a paperback edition that fell to pieces from being read so much - then I bought a hardcover set in 1974 which seems to be coping better (can you see the bookmark fringe showing where I'm up to for 104). I have to admit too my copy of the Sword of Shannara has also seen better days ;)

So there is no way I could part with those books. But there area few that I've read once and know I have no interest at all in reading again, even have a few that I've only managed to read part of before tossing the book aside.

What do you hang on to? Are you addicted to books like me or is there something else that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy?

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely new bookshelf. Wish I had the space to put one more up. Somewhere. ;)

    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete