Thursday, 11 February 2016

Sketch Club and Planning My Next Painting Holiday ...



A few years back I went to a weekly life studies sketch club for a year. It was great fun and I really enjoyed it but I ended up missing a few years because of ill health/operations but now it's back on so I've signed up again and -touch wood - I'm healthy - so I'm raring to go.  Starts this Saturday.

I really love working with a model - it's a whole different ballgame.  And the good news is because there are a number of us we share the model hire cost and it doesn't cost each person an arm and a leg.

Probably take me the first session to get back into the swing of 1 & 2 minutes sketches but I'm really looking forward to it again.

So I've dragged out my sketch pad, my travel watercolour box of paints, my pencils, charcoal, pastels and watercolour block - I'm all ready to go.

* * * *

Been looking for somewhere to stay for a week, want it on the coast but no more than 4 hours drive. I want an unrestricted view of the water - no trees or buildings.

Think I've found somewhere and only about an hours drive too!

This looks exactly what I'm looking for. A nice secluded beach, only a narrow private road between me and the grass then the sand. A nice covered verandah to work on. Not as close to the water as the last place I stayed at but I think that was a rarity not the usual accommodation.

But just look at that beach! It's perfect.

This looks like somewhere where I can paint all day and write all night if I want to and that's exactly what I intend to do.

It is a two bedroom place with self-contained fully-equipped kitchen. Plus dining and lounge areas as well as a bathroom with huge double shower.

It also has a BBQ. Nothing to take except my clothes and paint gear.

I could go for one with a Spa bath but they are set back a little more from the beach - although it's probably only a matter of maybe 3 metres.

Last year I went to Murramurang and I have to admit I was tempted to go back there because it was simply the perfect spot for me.

But then I figured I'd try somewhere different.  The good thing with this place is there is a rainforest just 20 mins drive away. It's a nice drive too up into the mountains.

Love going to rainforests and this one is particularly wonderful.  If you sit quietly you're bound to see Lyre birds and other wonderful animals.

I haven't booked it yet but doubt I'll have any problems because I intend going in May again - less people, cooler weather.

Of course I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that one of the days I'm there the wind gets up so I can get a lot of angry surf photographs ... lol.

So unless I find somewhere that fits all my criteria that's where I'll be come May.

No comments:

Post a Comment