Saturday, 23 January 2016

Self- Promotion, Construction

As you know I am an author and when my first book was published was amazed to discover the amount of self-publicity that you have to do to promote your books.

Following suggestions by other authors  I'm in contact with, I opened up social media accounts to help in the process. So now I have :


  • a website
  • a blog
  • a Facebook author page
  • Google+
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Pinterest
  • Tumblr
  • Tsu
  • Wordpress
  • A monthly newsletter
  • not to mention various FB and Yahoo groups that deal with authors connecting to readers

So bloody many things. Now all of these take up time. I try and tweet every other day, post something on my FB page and Google+ weekly. I also have my author friends post on their blogs and/or websites. The others are maybe fortnightly but it all takes time.

It all takes up so much time that my last book wasn't publicised as much as normal because it was Xmas as well.

So I've just paid someone to do it for me for a few weeks. It will be interesting to see if there is an increase in sales with this person adding posts to many blogs as well.

Basically if you want to make a success then you have to put in the effort behind the scenes.

I remember when I sold my first book I thought I'd be lucky to make $50 a year I may never become a millionaire with my books but I am making an extremely nice income with them ... 

The funny thing is on top of  all that promo work you have to keep searching out the pirates and send out take down notices. It's an impossible task to ever get on top of - so far to my knowledge I've taken down 20 sites which is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the thousands of sites.

So whats the funny thing? Some of those sites keep tallies on how many times the books are downloaded ...  I'm cranky. If I got just one dollar (and remember I actually get at least twice that when I sell a book) from each I would have over a million dollars and that's just 8 sites from the thousands of sites!!

Where's a mechanically minded male when you need one?

Just bought myself a new chair for the office/studio - no bloody instruction sheet!

So I have this pile of pieces and a picture of the finished article ....  thank goodness I studied engineering way back in the 60s .... lol.

Still Mr Spot is having lots of fun in the empty box - he keeps hiding in it until Fozzie walks past then jumps out at him.

Fozzie - being the very brave dog he is has now taken refuge under my desk - his usual position with his head on my feet.  I guess I am supposed to protect him from the big bad puddy tat!

UPDATE : - Queen of the Allen key ... who needs instructions!

1 comment: