Monday, 11 January 2016

Pet Peeves, Procrastinating, Publishing ... and a Sad Loss

Decided this week was the week to get back to work - haven't done any writing or painting since mid December - but of course I got side tracked.

Okay I'll own up - I'm procrastinating about getting back into work.

I started reading and one book led to another .... you know the rest.

Anyway the book had some reference stuff in it that I knew came from Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time so wanted to explore it more. Went to the book case where I thought the book was and couldn't find it. Searched everywhere then finally realised I'd lent it to someone about 5 yrs ago along with a couple of other books and never got any of them back .

That got me thinking.

How annoying is it when you lend someone something and they never bother to return it.  I can recall lending The Golden Bough and The Gulag Archipelago to a work colleague back in the 60s and despite repeatedly asking for them back they were never returned.

I love my books and have no problem lending them to people but I do wish they would return them especially when asked.

I ended up buying new copies of both books from the 60s but over the years lost them when I had to downsize my book collection.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for them plus Hawking's book. I already bought a replacement of The Hobbit - can't possibilty live without Tolkien's works on my shelves.

Been slowly trying to rebuild my library now I have the house to myself.

Two of my more recent books are about to come out in paperback so that means I need more shelf space to add them. Of course the problem is still finding space to put in additional bookcases ... lol

So now you know one of my pet peeves. Tell me what annoys you? Is it lending things that don't get returned or something else?

The ebook that had one of my short stories in had been selling well - better than we actually expected. In fact one day it was #6 on Amazon's Horror ebooks category - ahead of Stephen King!!

Whoohoo ... lol.

None of us expect to make money from it - it was just a way of getting new readers but the way things are going we may even break even. It cost me $10 US for my share of the cover design and then $50 USD for professional editing. One of the authors was great at formatting so she did that for free.

We've decided to write another - same authors and the same theme - Paranormal Romance so I really need to stop procrastinating and get back to work .... lol.

Devastated by the news that David Bowie has died. He had his 69th birthday on Friday and released his latest album. It's fabulous.... I bought it on the weekend and then tonight I read he is dead.

At first I thought it must be a hoax, it was so hard to believe.  I feel like I've lost a friend - I have all his albums and think he was an amazing talent.

His music is immortal and I almost believed he was too.

Goodbye Sir David .....

No comments:

Post a Comment