Monday, 9 November 2015

Books, Head Banging in Frustration ....

Working my way through Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetti series - up to book #14 Predator. My favourite 2nd hand bookstore closed but I was able to buy most of the series before they shut the shop.

I'm thinking when I finish the series I'll read the Kathy Reich's books that I haven't got round to starting.  Recently worked my way through Ngaio Marsh and then Dorothy Sayers books.

Between reading I've been working on another MS - it's kind of stalled at the moment so I decided to go back to one I started at the beginning of the year. Had a few new ideas for it so woke up yesterday morning all fired up and ready to go.

WTF???

Everywhere I looked on my computer, my external hard drive and Dropbox there was no sign of it.  It was as if it never existed and I had this weird feeling that perhaps I'd dreamt the whole thing. But no, I did find my 'inspiration' folder for it.

As I write I tend to scour the Internet for things - in this case it was the plans of a house. So obviously I hadn't had some weird crazy dream, obviously I'd started writing.  Then I remembered around June/July I'd had a major cleanup on my laptop.

I was now fill with dread ... at some point I'd actually deleted the folder that had the book in it. I know I'd written at least 25k of words.

Downloaded a program that could search your drives and locate deleted stuff as long as it hadn't been written over.

Searched the partitioned hard drives, search the external back up drives, search the Dropbox - nothing. Mind you it did bring up lots of stuff but not the one thing I wanted. Yes ... before you ask I do a backup on an external drive BUT I saved the MS on the backup drive and on Dropbox so the backup didn't include the backup drive if you get my meaning.

Did a restore on Dropbox of deleted stuff but it didn't come up, probably because it was about 5 months ago and I've written and saved lots of other stuff on the folder.

So now the program is doing the last thing - searching my recycle bin. So far its been working through and taken about 5 hrs with at least 6 to go. I'm not very optimistic ... I think too much time has passed.

The worst thing is I can remember writing some great stuff and it would be impossible to replicate it now. I remember a few character names and part of the plot but the rest .... gone - like the entire folder.

Thank goodness I'm one of the people who can accept what's happened happened and move on ... that's after I finish banging my head on the desk .... lol.

That move up to the Central Coast is looking better and better each day  - Lake Macquarie views would certainly make my frustration evaporate

UPDATE : the program found 3 bits of the file but they had been overwritten and corrupted so that's that - back to the drawing board as they say.

On a funnier note.

Fozzie had his monthly bath today and the lady who washes and trims him decided he'd look cute if he matched my hair. Unfortunately she didn't have any purple but at least she got the same pink shade.

As she said dogs and their owners seem to grow very similar - Damn! Me with no makeup or glasses to see .... bwahahaha.....

But my sweet dog is showing his feminine side and rocking the pink!!

No comments:

Post a Comment