Saturday, 9 May 2015

Meerkat Encounter ...

There are some things that happen in your life that you will never forget - maybe it's people you meet, places you go or things that just occur.

Last Wednesday I had one of those wonderful happenings.

I went to Mogo Zoo and had a 'Meerkat Encounter' ... I wasn't sure what to expect but I was experienced was beyond my greatest expectation.

Just me and the keeper and 9 wonderful, beautiful, handsome, cuddly meerkats!

When we entered the enclosure the keeper got me to sit down on a large rock and then gave me a handful of chopped zucchini and corn kernels. Before I knew it I was covered in meerkats.

It was amazing!

They squabbled over who would eat, they climbed all over me. Some stood on my head  - a good vantage point!  One was intrigued with my earrings, hair and eyes and was nudging them with his nose. I got little 'love' nips on my neck.

When the food was all gone they explored every vantage point they could - standing on my shoulders, arms, legs, head.

That went on for about 10 minutes then they decided it was nap time. First one, then the others curled up into my lap until I had 7 sleepy meerkats intertwined. How on earth the one on the bottom managed to breathe is beyond me!

Two others kept watch while the rest slept.

It was only the advent of one of the watchers deciding to crawl into the sleeping pile that made them all wake. The one on the bottom fell and the whole pile tumbled off.  They all went to stand in the sun and my encounter was over.

It was breathtaking, exhilarating, majestic - I really can't explain it properly but I do know I will never forget it
 



No comments:

Post a Comment