Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Chiaroscuro

One of the members of the online photography group I'm in posted an amazing photo.

The prompt was Chiaroscuro. Chiaroscuro in painting is the use of strong contrasts between light and dark which in turn affects the whole composition. In photography and cinema it had the same meaning.

My picture for it was one of my Buddha busts which I achieved by bouncing the light of a torch off a mirror and onto the side of the head.

There were some amazing picture posted and I was in awe from some of them but then I saw this one.  It was perfect. There was a feel of Old Masters about it.

So I asked for and got permission to use it as reference in a painting.

I think its a bloody fabulous photo - very evocative and emotive.

Spent the last three days working feverishly - it was one of those things where you just had to keep going until you finished.

I'm happy with the result. A few times I was tempted to stop but glad I continued on. I've now stepped away from the easel and left it.

I did consider making it much darker originally but somewhere along the way I preferred the softer darkness - it seemed more fitting with my rendition.



1 comment:

  1. I saw this subject in my list of blogs and knew immediately it was someone from "my" photo group because not only had I seen this post, I am also friends with the subject.

    Anyway, when I clicked on the link, I knew I should have known, it had to be you. :) You did such a great job here. Fantastic.

    By the way, I have added you both on Google+ as well as on Goodreads. Thanks for the links. I probably should add my reading shelf on my page, too.

    Marianne from Let's Read

    ReplyDelete