Monday, 24 November 2014

Hot, Hot, HOT!

Spent Sunday hiding inside.

It was HOT!

No that isn't the right word - it was almost Boiling!

The Sydney basin knew there was hot weather coming, the interior of Australia had been sweltering with temps over 45c (113f) so we knew what to expect. Even so it exceeded expectations.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) predicted 43c for my area but by 2pm we  reached over 44c (112f).

If this was a taste of what we can expect from now on with climate change I don't like it!  I'd much rather a nice pleasant autumn or a cool winter than this.

It seems so strange, plastered all over the Internet are pictures of the US buried under metres of snow while we swelter.

It's hard to comprehend when you're melting into a blob of sweat that there are people on the other side of the world frozen solid.

The average temperature for this time of year for my area is 27c.

Fortunately we got a lovely cool southerly change in the evening, it kept the night time temps hovering around 22 or 23 which was still hot for sleeping but a bloody sight better than trying to sleep with temps in the 40s!

Today is a very muggy 32 with thunderstorms predicted for late today then another southerly. Wednesday through to Sunday are all predicted to be around 30 but the night temps are expected to be between 12 and 15 - much better for sleeping.

On top of it all - there is rain predicted. Have my finger's crossed for that. I've given up water the plants. Figure if they can survive this, they'll survive anything.

All my trees look happy, the frangipannis are all budding up. My giant strelitzia had gone crazy- it was about a metre tall when my son planted it out for me a year and half ago. Now its around 4 metres!

Guess it loves the heat and dry weather!  Now all I want is for it to flower!

1 comment:

  1. That's incredibly hot . I bet a cold shower is good...but probably only benefits you for 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete