Sunday, 14 September 2014

Pirates ...

Before I became an author I didn't think that much about pirating, but my views have really changed since my first book was pirated.

Each week I send 'Take Down' notices to various websites - and there are thousands - where I find any of my books available illegally.  I waste at least half a day of my time doing searches then sending out notices.

Sadly, most sites ignore your request and it costs too much to fight them.  However a few sites do comply which is good news.

Today I found another 5 sites with 3 of my books, so sent off the official DCMA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) take down request. The good part is that the sites are hosted by Wordpress who immediately take action by closing the site because they violated the Terms of Service.

On each page that gives book information and the download link they also show the number of downloads of the file in the past 7 days.

There have been over 6500 downloads of the 3 books!

That equates to over $16000 - that's a lot of money that I don't get!

And that was only 5 sites - in the past few weeks I've sent out dozens of notices. That has to equate to a hell of a lot of money when you consider that on just 5 sites I lost over $16000.

Even sadder - they write reviews and give ratings!  My books are rating between 8 - 9.5/10.  What a joke!

UPDATE: Gggrrrr - just found another site - this one had three books on it with 3520 downloads in the past week!

I must lose at least $100,000 a year in pirates at the very least!

UPDATE AGAIN : Got an email from the server who I sent 5 notices to regarding 5 different sites that they hosted. All 5 are now gone!!

Chalk up one to the authors!  Only another 5,876,923 sites to go ..... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment