Monday, 23 June 2014

Tomatoes and Mulberries ....

I was amazed about a month ago when I went outside to hang some clothes on the line.  In a crack between pavers at the bottom of the stairs was a tiny tomato plant.  I was about to pull it out then decided I would leave it and see what happened.

I doubted it would survive because it is winter here, but figured it could take its chances.

Imagine how surprised I was when it keep getting bigger and bigger.  At the moment it covers about 2 square metres and it full of fruit.  The tomatoes on it are huge - bigger than I have ever grown.  It must be because I left it to fend for itself - I tend to kill most plants I look after.

Anyway, last week I thought I should sprinkle some tomato dust on it to protect the fruit, although I am not sure that the grubs are active in the cold weather of winter.

The first fruit is getting ripe and I imagine I will be picking it by the weekend.

The only down side is it is almost impossible to get to the clothes line - it has spread out from the bottom of the stairs across to underneath the line.

It seems like things that 'self seed' are healthier in my yard than those I plant.  I have clumps of Arum lilies (yes I know they are noxious weeds) that have appeared and one of the eucalypts in my front yard grew from the birds along with a mulberry tree.

I love mulberries - mulberry pie is my all time favourite fruit pie - but despite having the tree (although it is still a baby about 6 years old) and it bearing fruit I have never managed to collect any.

The native fruit bats get in long before I do.  Wish I knew someone who had a tree growing that I could collect the fruit from.  When I was a child it seemed as if there was a big tree growing in someone's yard in every street but now they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Probably because of 1) the mess and 2) smaller building blocks. Still they are something from my childhood that I wish I could have everyday .... lol.

When my parents were alive there was a huge tree in a nieghbours that I would harvest each year.  I would pick enough to freeze for them and for me.  Each year I would have enough fruit for at least two dozen pies throughout the year.  Sadly, both my parents and the tree are long gone.

When I was a child we always had silkworms, fed them on the large mulberry leaves then watched as they grew and spun their cocoons.  I doubt kids these days would even know about them.

1 comment:

  1. I doubt it too. I have never had Mulberry pie...we don't have mulberry trees in NZ ( that I am aware of anyway. ) You could enquire at a gaden centre and maybe get a grafted one that would fruit better and sooner?
    Hugs from Ali.

    ReplyDelete