Friday, 6 September 2013

Fozzie Bear .......

Big sigh of relief!

My beautiful Fozzie got hurt and for a moment thought he had broken his back or at the least fractured his hip.

He was playing and running around the dining table (playing with Mr Spot), there was a wet spot on the floor - he was turning and as he ran his back legs slid under him and he twisted and fell with his left hind leg twisted under him.
He just screamed and couldn't move; it was a most horrific sound. My heart plunged; I was sure he was badly injured.

Spent over an hour at the Vets yesterday morning.  My wonderful vet twisted, pulled, pushed, massaged, thumped and generally wiggled things around.  He is 99% sure there is no bone damage - it is certainly his hip but nothing broken.

My Vet was telling me that it is amazing how many serious injuries in dogs happen just that way.  Only recently he had to put down a dog who had slipped and broken his back the same way that Fozzie had hurt himself.

Now things are looking brighter - appears to be muscle, tendon damage .... pppphhheeewww.  He looked so sad and in such pain; you could see it in his eyes and his whole body pose, not to mention his whimpering. 


Rest, TLC, antiflamatories, pain killers & massage/stretching for a while.  As you can see by this photo, after all the drama (and the painkiller) he just zonked out as soon as I got him back home.

At least he can walk by himself albeit with a massive limp, I couldn't imaging lifting his 26kgs (58lbs) and carrying him up and down the stairs to go outside ....lol.

This morning he seems a lot brighter and moving easier.  I have massaged his leg this morning and he didn't cry as much; I was able to stretch the leg much easier too.  The hardest part is getting the pills in him - last night I just hid it in his dinner and this morning I gave him a treat in little pieces with the pill wrapped in one ... ;).


He has been wandering around the house resting in various places and even spent some time with Mr Spot.  Cali even went to him and gave him a very, very quick rub, then sat on the table and watched him.

When it first happened I can remember thinking I had lost him - I was shattered.  How quickly they (pets) become so very important to us.  Probably more so to people like me who live alone and are loners.  Our pets become our best friends, someone we share our deepest secrets with, our companions.

I doubt I could ever live without having a pet, they bring so much joy and comfort and unconditional love not to mention the security when living alone and having a big dog who barks and protects me.  Not too sure about the cats being a safety thing - Cali runs and hides under the bed whenever anyone comes and Spotty couldn't give a damn unless he was sure he was going to get a pat ..... lol.

1 comment: