Saturday, 25 May 2013

Sightseeing .... from an Artists Point of View ...

Come with me on a little sightseeing trip ...

Earlier this week I drove to Lake Parramatta, about 16kms away; 20 odd minutes drive.  I have to admit that the last time I was there was as a small child, which is rather sad as this is a hidden gem right in the middle of Sydney.
File:Lake Parramatta,New South Wales.jpg
About 2 km from the centre of Parramatta CDB, the lake is one of the few remaining natural bushlands in Sydney, in fact it is the largest remnant at 73 hectares, 10.5 of which are water.

It was originally Hunts Creek and used extensively by the indigenous peoples for fresh water and for the abundance and diversity of food available.  In 1840 the increased need for fresh water saw the plan to dam the Creek.

The dam is important as it was only the 12th engineering dam built in the western world.  Because the Creek lay within a deep valley the dam when built created an irregularly shaped area with a volume in excess of 280 megalitres.  When first built in 1855 the dam was 11 m high but increasing demands meant the dam wall was raised by 3 1/2 metres in 1989 which increased its  capacity to 590 megalitres.

In 1909 Parramatta was connected to the Sydney water supply system and so water from Lake Parramatta was no longer needed.

So enough of the history, let's look at the lovely lake.

Bear in mind that I see things through an Artist's eye so some things I focus on may be completely different to what you would.



I was in awe of some of the trees - their bark - the twisted forms.  Some were wrapped around each other while others stood alone.

One had deep lines etched on it and it reminded me of the skin of an elephant.  I took a close up of it and if I closed my eyes and rubbed my hand across it I could imagine an elephant's leg.


On some the bark was split open as if some new hurt and the visible inside was a brighter orange, vivid against the grey outside bark.


In one place there was an old trunk in the water that has slowly decayed, only a small part of the tree was left but I liked the juxtaposition of tree to water and the hidden meaning.


In other areas rocks, trees, dead leaves and grass merged together.   I like the differences - hard lines of the rocks, twisted tree trunks and the softness of the grasses.

It was very overcast and I was only there for about 3/4 of an hour before it started to sprinkle.  I plan to go back there very soon, as soon as the forecast is for clear skies; and spend some time sketching and painting.


There are so many great 'little' scenes that would make a great picture so I intend to spend a full day relaxing and painting.

I was told that on the weekends, especially in warmer weather it is almost impossible to get a 'rock' to sit on - it has become very popular.  Fortunately, being an Artist means I can go through the week when there a few visitors.

I hope you enjoyed our little trip - will let you know when I take my painting trip.

2 comments:

  1. I did enjoy this little trip! The textures alone were sensory overload...
    What fodder for a painting"

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comment Sooziii.

    Lovely scenery the third picture makes me think of frogs having a piggy back maybe leapfrog lol.

    sorry for not keeping in touch. keep well I am doing all the things I used to tell you to do. Eat veggies lol.

    ReplyDelete